History of the Christian Church in Tennessee
From the website Disciples.org & “Tennessee Christians: A History by Herman Norton”, 1971
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) grew out of two movements seeking Christian unity that sprang up almost simultaneously in western Pennsylvania and Kentucky - movements that were backlashes against the rigid denominationalism of the early 1800s. The movement’s purpose was to return to the principles of the early churches described in the New Testament. Barton W. Stone, a fifth-generation American in Kentucky and also a Presbyterian, objected to the use of creeds as tests of “fellowship” within the church, which was the cause of disunity, especially at the Lord’s Table. Stone arrived in Tennessee in August 1796. After Barton Stone’s wife died in 1810, he began establishing congregations in Tennessee including Sumner and Wilson counties.
The Tennessee Christian Missionary Convention was established on October 19, 1894, and it was then that the state of Tennessee recognized its charter.
The Tennessee Christian Missionary Convention’s name was changed on October 20, 1908 to the Tennessee Christian Missionary Society.
The Board of Directors for the church met on April 29, 1965 and voted to change the name to The Tennessee Association of Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ).
On May 1, 1971 the name was changed to the current name Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Tennessee.
For more on the history of the Christian Church(DOC) visit: http://disciples.org/our-identity/history-of-the-disciples/